Businesses in the hospitality industry like cafes and restaurants generate significant amount of waste. And most of the waste thrown away (aluminum cans, bottles, newspapers, cardboards, magazines, and office paper) is recyclable. They need to realize that developing waste management and recycling program not only improve their brand but can be a real opportunity in reducing waste and generating cost savings.
Benefits of Recycling for the Hospitality Industry:
1. The industry can save a significant amount of money by reducing waste and recycling waste materials. Operating cost will be reduced by diverting materials from disposal. The greatest savings result from reduction is rubbish removal fees. Save from reducing the amount of materials wasted, and make money from the sale of recyclable wastes.
2. Commitment to environmental protection boost corporate image. Being recognized for green efforts and getting an award for it spread the news and attracts new clientele. Customers desire to support “green” businesses.
3. Companies that integrate recycling into their business decisions reduce their environmental risk like water, land and air pollution and potential liabilities. They are in a better position to secure investment and reduce their financial market exposure.
4. Recycling saves raw materials, energy and reduces environmental pollution. Recycling of waste disposed by the industry would save almost one million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions.
How to Start a Waste Management and Recycling Program:
1. Incorporate recycling into company policy – show employees that the company is serious about it and engage all employees through training and competitions.
2. Perform waste assessment – quantify the waste generated by the business to decide which materials can be recycled and how many collection bins are necessary.
3. Identify materials for recycling – get a high percentage of recyclables by selecting potential materials. Recycling will reduce the amount of waste and save on collection cost.
4. Minimization – eliminate the need for packaging, buy supplies in bulk containers.
5. Train employees to segregate waste – Recyclables should be separated by specific color code.
Green –, paper and cardboard
Blue- Plastics, recyclables
Brown – Food waste for composting
Red – harmful waste
Black- General mixed waste
6. Reduce and reuse – save money on waste disposal by reducing waste. Reuse items and reduce consumption of resources.
7. Compost organic kitchen waste – nature’s way of recycling biodegradable materials. Composting reduces trash hauling cost; it also lightens the load on the landfills.
8. Buy recycled products – buying recycled products creates demand for the recyclables; and save on virgin materials and energy.
9. Find out what recycling services are available to your business – rubbish removal Sydney offers recycling services. Waste management contractor may even pay you for your recycled products like paper and cardboard.
10. Establish an evaluation and monitoring procedure –monitoring and evaluation procedure serves as gauge to a successful waste reduction program.
Eco-Friendly Hospitality Waste Management Resources:
Rubbish Removal Brisbane
Outrate Rubbish Removal Brisbane
Ph: 07 3667 8080
Rubbish Removal Sydney
Doyle Bros Rubbish Removal Sydney
Ph: 02 9999 2111
Rubbish Removal Adelaide
Adelaide Greenwaste and Rubbish Removal
Ph: 8 8120 2758
Rubbish Removal Perth
Karden’s Rubbish Removal
Ph: 9275 5924
Rubbish Removal Melbourne
Ricky’s Rubbish Removal
Ph: 0412 232 652